Crispy Smashed Potatoes are oven roasted baby potatoes – crispy on the outside and soft and delicious on the inside! This easy to make side dish can be baked in just 30 minutes.
When I was little my grandma had a huge garden with rows and rows of potatoes planted. She would sometimes dig up a potato plant before the potatoes were fully mature.
She would dig out enough small potatoes for dinner and they were the softest, most delicious potatoes ever. Grandma always called them “new potatoes”.
I found some small baby potatoes at our grocery store. While I believe these are grown and harvest as small potatoes, they reminded me of my grandma’s new potatoes.
I decided to make some crispy smashed potatoes. These potatoes are so delicious and addicting! Just imagine that crispy outer edge and that soft and fluffy inside. I bought a big bag of these small potatoes and I’ve made smashed potatoes three times already! Another delicious way to use baby potatoes is with these Grilled Baby Potatoes!
How do you cook smashed potatoes?
These potatoes are boiled until soft. They are then drained and drizzled with olive oil. Next comes the fun part…the smashing! Okay, maybe it’s not all that fun, but I enjoyed it! I used the bottom of a cup to smash my potatoes. Try to smash all your potatoes to a consistent level so they will cook evenly.
What herbs can I use on these potatoes?
I kept the seasoning simple: just sea salt and fresh thyme. You could also use minced garlic, rosemary, paprika, or sage.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Please check out all my delicious recipes!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- 1-2 pounds small potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Boil potatoes until soft (approximately 10 minutes)
- Drain potatoes and let cool slightly.
- Place potatoes in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss potatoes lightly so olive oil covers all areas of potatoes.
- Grease a baking sheet with a small amount of olive oil. Place potatoes on tray. Gently smash each potato with a flat surface (I used the bottom of a glass.) Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh thyme.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until the edges are crispy. Cooking times my vary depending on the size of your potatoes and how flat you smashed them.