Twice Baked Potatoes are perfect for everyday or for a fancy dinner. These potatoes can be made ahead of time and baked when needed.
Twice baked potatoes are a great way to transform the regular ol’ baked potato. These little treasures are filled with all my favorite baked potato ingredients.
Really, these are mashed potatoes, put back into the shell, topped with cheese and then baked again. Twice baked Potatoes…pure deliciousness! I also have a recipe for twice baked sweet potatoes if you’re looking for something a little different.
What ingredients do I need for making this potato recipe?
- sour cream
- salt and pepper
What type of potato is best for making twice baked potatoes?
A large russet potato is best for making twice baked potatoes. Their skin is firm enough to hold up to filling and baking.
What type of cheese do I use?
I used three types of cheese in this recipe; cheddar, Monterey Jack and Parmesan. You can use all three or just one cheese if you’d prefer.
I’m hoping everyone has purchased their lottery ticket! I can’t even fathom One BILLION dollars! Oh my goodness. I told Rod that I really didn’t want to win that much. Just imagine the problems and issues that would come with that much money! I would have to hire security guards and take out insurance on all my chickens!
After all, you’d have to take measures to protect yourself, your family and all your precious belongings. Maybe the chickens would get a new palace! Hmmmmm….. Nope, just a few simple million is all I really need!
The chickens are just fine the way they are living…no extra treatment or palace for them… well….maybe just a few extra treats though! I don’t think wanting to win a few million is unreasonable!
Just in case you don’t win, you are going to want to make these twice baked potatoes. They will still make you feel like a winner! Who knows, if you are the big winner, you could hire someone to make these for you!
Heck, I’ll come make them for you…it will just cost you a few million!
Can I make this recipe for a large crowd?
My recipe is for four people, but this recipe is super adaptable. At Christmas, I made enough for 22 people. I made them up the day before and wrapped the tray in plastic and stored in the fridge.
About 30 minutes before dinner, I removed the plastic and popped them in the oven for about 30 minutes.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Baked potatoes filled with creamy potatoes and topped with cheese.
- 4 whole Russet Potatoes medium sized
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Green onions for garnish
- Wash and dry potatoes. Rub a very thin coating of oil over the skins. Prick potatoes with a fork 3-4 times each. Bake until done.
- Let potatoes cool enough to handle.
- Slice in half lengthwise and scoop out interior. Place in a large bowl. Do not scoop all the way to the skin. You want to leave a thin layer of potato so the skins aren't too flimsy.
- Place potato skins on a lightly sprayed baking sheet.
Mash potatoes in bowl. Add butter, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper, Stir.
- If mixture is too try, add a bit more milk until the mixture is mashed potato consistency.
- Fold in cheese, reserving a bit of cheddar for sprinkling on top.
- Taste mixture and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Fill potato skins with potato mixture.
- Sprinkle cheddar on top.
- Bake at 350 for 20 - 30 minutes until heated through.
To make ahead of time, once skins are filled, cover with plastic wrap and store in fridge. When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.