Light and fluffy dinner rolls made with mashed sweet potatoes.
Are you looking for a perfect dinner roll? These sweet potato dinner rolls are so light and fluffy and have just a touch of sweetness from the sweet potatoes. Your friends and family will be asking for them again and again.
The secret to making these great rolls? Sweet Potatoes! Okay, so I guess that’s really not a secret since sweet potatoes is right in the name, but seriously the sweet potatoes really add a little extra something to an ordinary dinner roll.
I used one whole sweet potato and boiled it, skin on until it was soft. Just test with a fork. If the fork goes through easily, the potato is done.
Once the potato is cool enough to handle, use a pairing knife to remove the skin and then mash the potato with a fork. You want it as smooth as possible, but a few small bits are okay.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you’ve made this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram #beyondthechickencoop
Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls
- 3 Tablespoons butter (melted)
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, add milk, yeast and honey. Let sit for 5 minutes until bubbly.
- Add sweet potato, eggs, butter and salt. Mix
- With mixer running slowly add the flour. Continue adding flour until dough comes together and begins to form a ball. You might not use all the flour.
- Knead in mixer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from mixing bowl and place into a large greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled; 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove cover and punch dough down.
- Divide dough into fourths. Working with one fourth at a time, divide each fourth into six equal parts. Shape into rolls.
- To make the cloverleaf shape, continue dividing each part into thirds. Roll each third into small balls. Drop three balls into a greased muffin tin.
- Cover lightly and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush top of rolls lightly with melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly for a few minutes on a baking rack. Remove from tins or baking sheet and continue cooling.