Fresh strawberries make these strawberry scones extra delicious! These scones are perfect for breakfast, brunch or teatime and are perfect by themselves or with a bit of jam. Make these delicious scones during strawberry season when the berries are at their peak of flavor.
Spring is in the air and I'm finding delicious ripe strawberries in the store! I can't resist those delicious strawberries and find myself buying some every time I'm at the store. I'm celebrating spring with these strawberry scones!
Scones are perfect for breakfast or a mid-morning snack with tea! I have to be honest though....these never make it past breakfast in my house.
They are gone as soon as they come out of the oven. Maybe if I made them later in the day, they'd last past breakfast!
Do I have to use heavy cream?
No, you do not have to use heavy cream. You can use half and half instead. Heavy cream, or whipping cream makes the scones very tender and soft. They make the scones richer, but I think it makes the scones more indulgent. The cream is also brushed on top of the dough just before baking. It helps the scones turn a lovely golden color and helps the sprinkled sugar stick to the scones.
How to make scones
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder
- Add butter and mix in with a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles small peas
- Add fresh strawberries
- Add heavy cream
- Knead together a few times, just until dough comes together
- Form into a circle
- Slice into wedges
- Place wedges on a lined baking sheet
- Brush with cream
- Sprinkle with sugar
Do I need to grease my baking sheet when baking scones?
I have just started baking on a silicone baking mat and I love it! If you don't have a silicone baking mat, don't worry! I have used parchment paper for baking scones for years. If you don't have either, you will want to grease your baking sheet lightly or the scones will stick.
I hope you are enjoying spring weather and fresh strawberries right now!
Don't forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my baking recipes.
This recipe was originally published in March of 2017.
- 2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- In large bowl mix flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add butter and mix in with a pastry blender or your fingers.
- Add strawberries and mix lightly.
- Add heavy cream and mix with a fork just until the mixture comes together.
- Use your hands to knead just once or twice to further incorporate the ingredients together. Do not overwork dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat out into an 8 inch circle.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Carefully move wedges to a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Place wedges about ¼" apart.
- Brush with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool on a baking rack.