Fresh strawberries and chunks of chocolate make this Strawberry Chocolate Shortcake irresistible! Make a quick homemade biscuit with chocolate and then assemble with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. This dessert is elegant and delicious.
I know it is almost spring! Never mind waking up everyday this week to find another two inches of newly fallen snow or the two feet of snow that still covers the ground. Nope, I can tell spring is almost here by all the fresh strawberries in the grocery store!
They are a sure sign that there is warmer weather somewhere! We have been buying these strawberries in droves. I just can't resist them every time I walk through the produce section. And the kids are eating them up faster than I can buy them.
I decided it was time to make strawberry shortcake, but I decided it was time to mix up the good ol' classic strawberry shortcake and made strawberry chocolate shortcake!
I think anytime you take something good and want to make it great you just add chocolate!
When making shortcake you want to handle the dough as little as possible. I mixed the dough in a bowl with a spoon, kneaded once or twice by hand to incorporate all the flour and then pressed it out into a thick circle.
These strawberry shortcakes were a hit and made springtime seem a little closer! These blueberry shortcakes would also be a delicious treat anytime of the year!
If you are looking for other delicious recipes, check these out:
Don't forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Looking for more desserts? Check out all my dessert recipes.
Strawberry Chocolate Shortcake
- 2 pints strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups whipped cream (lightly sweetened)
- 1 Tablespoon shaved milk chocolate
- Wash, hull and slice strawberries. Add sugar and lightly mix. Set aside for at least 20 minutes until the juice begins to flow.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.
- Stir in the chocolate
- Mix in the heavy cream, stirring just until the dough begins to come together.
- Use your hands to form dough into a ball. Press dough against the sides to incorporate any remaining flour.
- Lightly knead the dough two to three times, just to further mix the ingredients together.
- Place on a very lightly floured surface and pat out into a circle. Keep dough approximately one inch high.
- Use a three inch biscuit cutter and cut out biscuits. Place on a baking tray covered with a silicone baking liner or on a lightly greased baking tray.
- Rework any scraps together to make additional shortcakes.
- Brush the surfaces of shortcakes lightly with additional heavy cream.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Cool on a baking rack.
Assembling the Shortcakes
- Use a fork to split the shortcakes.
- Place the bottom half of a shortcake on a plate. Place a dollop of whipped cream, a spoonful of strawberries and then the top of the shortcake. Add another dollop of whipped cream on top and garnish with a sliced strawberry and chocolate shavings.
- Serve immediately.