Fresh strawberries and chunks of chocolate make this Strawberry Chocolate Shortcake irresistible!
Make a quick homemade biscuit with chocolate and then assemble with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. This dessert is elegant and delicious.
I know it is almost spring! Never mind waking up everyday this week to find another two inches of newly fallen snow or the two feet of snow that still covers the ground. Nope, I can tell spring is almost here by all the fresh strawberries in the grocery store!
They are a sure sign that there is warmer weather somewhere! We have been buying these strawberries in droves. I just can't resist them every time I walk through the produce section. And the kids are eating them up faster than I can buy them.
I decided it was time to make strawberry shortcake, but I decided it was time to mix up the good ol' classic strawberry shortcake and made strawberry chocolate shortcake!
I think anytime you take something good and want to make it great you just add chocolate!
When making shortcake you want to handle the dough as little as possible. I mixed the dough in a bowl with a spoon, kneaded once or twice by hand to incorporate all the flour and then pressed it out into a thick circle.
Having a perfect biscuit cutter makes everything easier. I baked the biscuits on a silicone baking sheet. There was no stick and no mess!
These strawberry shortcakes were a hit and made springtime seem a little closer! These blueberry shortcakes would also be a delicious treat anytime of the year!
If you are looking for other delicious recipes, check these out:
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Looking for more desserts? Check out all my dessert recipes.
Strawberry Chocolate Shortcake
- 2 pints strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup chopped milk chocolate
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whipped cream (lightly sweetened)
- 1 Tablespoon shaved milk chocolate
- Wash, hull and slice strawberries. Add sugar and lightly mix. Set aside for at least 20 minutes until the juice begins to flow.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.
- Stir in the chocolate
- Mix in the heavy cream, stirring just until the dough begins to come together.
- Use your hands to form dough into a ball. Press dough against the sides to incorporate any remaining flour.
- Lightly knead the dough two to three times, just to further mix the ingredients together.
- Place on a very lightly floured surface and pat out into a circle. Keep dough approximately one inch high.
- Use a three inch biscuit cutter and cut out biscuits. Place on a baking tray covered with a silicone baking liner or on a lightly greased baking tray.
- Rework any scraps together to make additional shortcakes.
- Brush the surfaces of shortcakes lightly with additional heavy cream.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Cool on a baking rack.
Assembling the Shortcakes
- Use a fork to split the shortcakes.
- Place the bottom half of a shortcake on a plate. Place a dollop of whipped cream, a spoonful of strawberries and then the top of the shortcake. Add another dollop of whipped cream on top and garnish with a sliced strawberry and chocolate shavings.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Quick and easy recipe. Delicious. My new favorite strawberry shortcake
Thanks, Brenda! I'm so glad you enjoyed them. There's nothing better than quick, easy and delicious!!! 🙂
Katie Crenshaw says
Kathy, these look irresistible!! I am a huge fan of strawberry shortcake. I have never had it with chocolate, but it sounds brilliant.
Dawn - Girl Heart Food says
The one thing that makes strawberry shortcake better is chocolate, that's for sure! You've got quite the dessert here! Love the combo of chocolate and strawberries and this looks SO good! We still have snow here too, but on the odd day you can kind of smell spring in the air. Bring it, I say 🙂
Anu-My Ginger Garlic Kitchen says
I am eagerly waiting for the Spring, but it is -5°C and a lot of snow here so I am not sure when will the spring arrive here. But I so want this adorable and delicious chocolate shortcake in my life today itself. 🙂
Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen says
A million times yes to this incredible post! I'm even more excited for berry season now that you've shared this recipe. I HAVE to try it 🙂
Elaine @ Dishes Delish says
Everything is better with a little chocolate in it :). These strawberry shortcakes look delicious!
such a great dessert for spring! love it!
Luckily strawberry season is nice and long! Lots of strawberry chocolate shortcake!
karrie @ Tasty Ever After says
It was 75 and I was grilling two weekends ago and just this past weekend it was -2 with the wind chill. I'm so ready for Spring and Summer! I'm also ready for a big plate of some strawberry chocolate shortcakes. Way to make a classic way better Kathy! Honesty I don't know why I've never thought of of adding chocolate to the biscuits but glad you did 🙂
Such crazy, fickle weather! Spring is coming!
Oh my! I love how you added chocolate to the mix! These strawberry chocolate shortcakes have to be the prettiest I've ever seen!
These were gobbled up lickity split in my house!