Raspberry Scones made with fresh or frozen raspberries! These tender scones are bursting with berries in every bite.
Nothing says summer like raspberries! Okay, it’s not summer yet, but I can dream! During the summer my raspberries produce an abundance of fruit. I pick daily and freeze gallons of raspberries.
Throughout the rest of the year, I get a little taste of summer! I often use frozen berries for making these raspberry scones.
Fresh or Frozen Raspberries?
You can use fresh or frozen raspberries in these scones. To use frozen berries, add the berries while they are still frozen – do not thaw first. You may need to increase cooking time by 3-5 minutes.
How long do I cook raspberry scones?
I cook scones in a 425 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
Tips for making scones
When making scones, try to handle the dough as little as possible. Just mix until it all comes together. You do want to keep the butter cold and this can be a challenge.
Sometimes I put my cookie sheets with the prepared dough into the freezer for about 10 minutes just before baking. This helps chill the butter and dough. Cold butter helps keep the scones nice and flaky. Place the cookie sheet straight into the oven from the freezer.
These are awesome fresh out of the oven, but I find if I can wait an hour before I eat them, the scones are absolutely perfect. Of course, I can’t wait an hour before trying the first one.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my baking recipes!
- 2 Tablespoons Half and Half
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- In large bowl mix flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add butter and mix in with a pastry blender or your fingers. Mix until large crumbs exist.
- Add half and half. Mix very lightly, just until in comes together.
- Add raspberries, mix lightly.
- Use your hands to knead just once or twice to further incorporate the ingredients together.
- Pat out into a 8 inch round on a lightly floured surface. Slice into 8 pie shaped wedges and place each wedge on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Separate wedges slightly.
- Place cookie sheet in freezer for 10 minutes prior to baking.
- Brush tops with Half and Half and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool on baking rack.