Creamy Buttercream Frosting with pumpkin pie spices. This is a perfect frosting for spiced cupcakes.
What spices are used in pumpkin spice buttercream?
This Pumpkin Spice Buttercream is amazing! I added all the delicious spices you'd find in pumpkin pie right into the frosting. You can taste all the yummy flavors of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
I made this buttercream frosting to go with pumpkin spice cupcakes. It's a match made in heaven.
I like to make my own frosting. I don't think I've ever bought it at the store before. It's so easy to make and the taste is so yummy. Some buttercream recipes I have include a lemon buttercream, chocolate buttercream, and a regular buttercream frosting.
Tips for making buttercream
- Make certain your butter is at room temperature. I usually let mine sit out on the counter for at least one hour before I will use it.
- Begin whipping your butter first, before adding other ingredients. This helps make certain your butter is nice and creamy.
- If your powdered sugar is lumpy, sift it through a sieve before using. The lumps don’t disappear when you add the powdered sugar to the butter.
- Always add the lesser amount of recommended liquid. Sometimes you won’t need to add any additional liquid or your buttercream will be too runny.
- If buttercream is too thick, just add a bit more liquid.
- This buttercream recipe does not hold up well in the heat. If it’s too warm for a stick of butter to hold its shape, the buttercream won’t hold its shape either.
- Refrigerate buttercream as needed. Just let it come back to room temperature before using.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Pumpkin Spice Buttercream
- ½ cup butter (at room temperature)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until smooth. Add spices and beat.½ cup butter, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger, pinch ground cloves, pinch ground nutmeg
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat on low speed.2 cups powdered sugar, ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Add milk one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.1-2 Tablespoons milk
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.