There are a lot of methods for juicing fruits and vegetables. A steam juicer might be one many aren’t familiar with. This post explains how to use a steam juicer.
Advantages of Using a Steam Juicer
- You only get juice, no pulp.
- The juice is crystal clear…well with color.
- You can do a large patch of fruit at a time.
- Very little prep. Just add clean fruit. No need to peel or pit first.
- Takes less time than traditional juicing methods.
Disadvantages of Using a Steam Juicer
- The pot is large and takes up a lot of storage space.
So…as long as you have enough storage space, this steamer is ideal! I use Mehu – Liisa 10 Liter Stainless Juicer.
This year I have made over 4 gallons of plum juice! That is an insane amount of plum juice. What do I do with all this juice? I make plum jelly, jalapeno plum jelly, plum sorbet, plum Popsicles, and I freeze the plum juice into ice cubes.
I throw one or two frozen cubes into a smoothie. It just adds a bit of flavor and extra nutrition. I also canned a lot to save for later. It’s so beautiful sitting in my pantry! I think with all this juice, I need to make some plum wine! Just need to figure out how to make wine…
How to use a steam juicer:
The steamer consists of three separate pots. The bottom one holds the water that creates the steam. The middle one collects the juice. It also has a large funnel that connects the steam from the bottom to the top. The top layer is where all the fruit is placed.
As the steam starts to cook the fruit, the juice will drip down into the middle layer. There is a tube attached to the middle layer. Once juice starts to form, you simply open the clasp and let the juice flow. I always place the tube into a bowl or a canning jar. Even with the clasp closed, I have had leakage.
Oh what a mess! Luckily we’ve caught it before too much juice seeped out. The key is placing the tube in the center of the clasp, not just at the end.
Just about any type of fruit would work with a steam juicer; grapes, currents, apricots, blueberries, cranberries…. I’m just getting started with ideas! The list is endless.
How to Make Plum Juice
- Fresh Plums
- Wash plums
- Place whole plums into to steam basket (top pot) of a Steam Juicer.
- Bring steamer to a boil
- Once juice begins to form, drain into clean containers.
- Continue until juice has been extracted from plums, approx. 1 hours
- Makes approx. 6 quarts. Yield depends on type of fruit.