A quick and delicious dessert… Cherry Almond Crisp
What to do when you make cherry pie filling? You could make a cherry pie….but why not Cherry Almond Crisp? Crisps are one of my favorite desserts to make because they are so darned easy. Not to mention I love that crisp topping.
Earlier in the week I made cherry pie filling, but you could easily use a can of store bought pie filling. The topping is simply made with butter, brown sugar, oatmeal and almonds. You could swap out the almonds for walnuts or pecans.
I think it would be delicious with any type of nut. You could even omit the nuts altogether, although they do add a bit more flavor and crunch.
You can make this dessert ahead of time and serve at room temperature or even pop it back into the oven for 10 minutes to just heat it up a bit. You could dress this up a bit by serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream!
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
Cherry pie filling topped with an oatmeal almond crust
- 3 cups Cherry Pie Filling or 1 30 oz can
- 1 2/3 cup oatmeal
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Lightly grease a baking dish
- Add cherry pie filling
- In a separate bowl mix remaining ingredients.
- Pour oatmeal mixture over cherries and spread evenly
- Bake, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. You want to topping browned, but not burnt. Keep an eye on the almonds. They tend to burn easily.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.