The trifecta of chocolate muffins, these chocolate muffins are made with unsweetened chocolate, cocoa powder and semi sweet chocolate chips. Eat for breakfast or whenever you're craving a sweet chocolaty treat!
These triple chocolate muffins are a bit of an indulgence, but they will satisfy your chocolate cravings with just one bite. Of course you don't want to stop at just one bite! Nope, you're going to want to eat the entire muffin - maybe two!
If you are a regular reader of BTCC, you probably already know I have a love of muffins. And if you are a new reader, let me tell you, I have a love of muffins! It's true. I really do love muffins. They are one of my favorite recipes to bake and I must say, I truly love a great muffin for breakfast.
Sometimes I'm looking for something quick to grab and so I go for a muffin. But sometimes, when I'm craving something sweet, I'm looking for an excuse to eat dessert for breakfast. I mean, really, how often can you eat chocolate for breakfast? You can when it's a triple chocolate muffin! And just so you know - these muffins also can do double duty as dessert too!
Tips for making muffins
- Use fresh baking powder - baking powder can lose its effectiveness and if old, your muffins might not rise properly.
- Fully preheat your oven - I use a separate oven thermometer in my oven to make certain my oven has reached the proper temperature. My preheat light often turns off before the oven has reached full temperature so I always give it extra time.
- Do not overmix batter. Just stir until everything is mixed in. Over stirring can cause tough muffins.
- Use an ice cream scoop for even sized muffins. Plus it makes putting the batter in the tins easy peasy!
Steps to make these muffins
A complete list of instructions is available below! Just scroll to the bottom!
- Melt chocolate with butter in the microwave
- Allow chocolate to cool slightly then mix in sugar
- Add eggs, sour cream, vanilla and milk
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together
- Fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Place muffin batter in muffin tin
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes
Substitutions and Variations
- Substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream
- Use dark chocolate chips in place of the semisweet chocolate chips
- Stir in one cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Be certain to check out all my muffin recipes!
Triple Chocolate Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare muffin pan by spraying with a nonstick cooking spray or lining with paper liners.
- Break unsweetened chocolate into small pieces. Add butter and microwave for 30 seconds. Continue microwaving for 15 seconds at a time until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is fully melted. Pour chocolate mixture into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir in sugar. Then add eggs, sour cream, milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15-18 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool for 2-3 minutes. Remove from muffin tin and continue cooling on a baking rack.
- Do not over mix batter. Just stir until everything is mixed in. Over stirring can cause tough muffins.
- Use an ice cream scoop for even sized muffins.