Sophisticated grilled cheese sandwich with Gouda, Parmesan, pesto and tomatoes! This delicious gourmet sandwich is perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
This tasty sandwich can be ready in just 20 minutes!
Why make this grilled cheese
Grilled cheese sandwiches are one of those classics that you come back to again and again. This grilled cheese is a twist on that classic. It's made with vine ripened tomatoes, basil pesto and two kinds of cheese.
This easy to make sandwich is perfect for a light summertime dinner and can be ready in just 20 minutes!
Another great sandwich using pesto is this pesto chicken sandwich!
- Good sourdough bread - it adds great flavor and the bread grills up perfectly
- Basil Pesto - make your own or buy at store
- Homegrown or local grown, vine ripened tomatoes
- Sliced Gouda cheese and shredded Parmesan cheese - the combination is perfect
Garden fresh tomatoes
Every year Rod waits and waits and waits for tomatoes to ripen. He really doesn't care for tomatoes you can buy in the store, but he loves garden fresh tomatoes.
We've eaten these twice already this week! It's a good thing Rod has lots of tomato plants (15 plants) with tons of tomatoes still coming! We are going to be eating lots of grilled cheese sandwiches with pesto and perfectly ripe tomatoes!
If you don't have homegrown tomatoes, try to find some from your local farmer's market.
For these sandwiches I used a combination of gouda and Parmesan cheeses. You could also use provolone cheese, cheddar cheese or a Monterey Jack cheese.
Looking for another type of unique sandwich to serve for lunch? Try these Turkey Wraps!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious recipes!
Pesto Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- ¼ cup butter (softened)
- ¼ cup pesto
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 8 slices Gouda cheese
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.8 slices sourdough bread, ¼ cup butter
- Place 4 buttered slices on a cutting board or baking sheet with the buttered side down.
- Spread pesto onto each of the 4 slices. Add tomatoes, Parmesan and Gouda cheeses. Place remaining bread on top with buttered side up.¼ cup pesto, 2 tomatoes, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, 8 slices Gouda cheese
- Preheat a griddle or a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Place 1-2 sandwiches on griddle. Cook for 2-3 minutes until bottom bread is nicely browned. Flip sandwiches and continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes until other side is brown and cheese is melted throughout. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.