Fresh green beans sauteed with butter and almonds and finished with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice makes a delicious green bean almondine!
This recipe was originally posted in December of 2015. The pictures have been updated and a video has been added.
Fresh green bean almondine is perfect for an elegant dinner or a casual get together. During the winter months I start to crave fresh veggies.
These green beans are easy to make and you will impress your guests and your family.
What’s not to love? Butter…garlic….almonds….fresh squeezed lemon juice….oh and green beans!
What is Almondine?
Almondine simply means with almonds. The word amandine also describes dishes cooked with almonds. Why the difference? Almondine is typically used in the US while amandine is European.
The restaurant I used to work at always said amandine when describing a dish.
Our chef was from Austria…plus I think it sounds a bit fancier! Almondine or amandine or just green beans with almonds, it’s delicious!
What ingredients do I need to make green bean almondine?
- Fresh green beans
- Sliced almonds
- Fresh lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper
Fresh green beans are usually available year round in the produce section of most grocery stores. Make certain you select the very best beans.
How to Trim Green Beans
- Grab a handful of beans
- Line up one end of green beans
- Cut off the stem part of the bean
- Turn around to other side
- Cut off the tail end of the bean
Make ahead Tips
- Wash and trim beans
- Blanch beans in boiling water and then place into an ice bath
- Drain beans
- Place beans in a covered container and refrigerate until needed
- Follow remaining steps in recipe
Do I have to use butter?
No, you don’t have to use butter. You can use equal amounts of olive oil or margarine if you prefer.
Don’t forget to PIN!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram #beyondthechickencoop
Fresh green beans sauteed in a light butter and lemon sauce.
- 1 pound fresh green beans washed and trimmed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Cook beans for 2 minutes in boiling water. Water should be at a rolling boil before you add beans.
- Drain beans in a colander and then cool in a bowl of cold water. Once cooled drain beans again. Remove all excess water from beans.
- In a large saute pan, melt butter. Once melted add almonds.
- Cook over low heat until slightly browned. 3-4 minutes. Remove almonds.
- In same pan add garlic and beans.
Continue cooking until beans are heated through.
Add almonds and stir.
- Turn off heat, squeeze 1/2 lemon over top.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately
To make ahead of time, blanch and drain beans. Refrigerate beans until ready to continue.
Green Bean Almondine Recipe Adapted From Fine Cooking.