Beets with a slight spice of ginger and a touch of honey.
Gingered Beets are a perfect vegetable side dish. These beets can be made ahead of time and then reheated when ready to serve.
When I was a kid, I didn’t like beets – at all! I’m sure it’s because it’s a vegetable and I tended to dislike most vegetables, especially if they were cooked. I’d eat a lot of raw vegetables, but I don’t remember ever trying a raw beet.
These days, I like beets and I keep looking for different ways to cook them. These Gingered Beets are a delicious way to eat beets.
Are beets healthy?
Everyone has a different definition of healthy so here’s some stats on beets so you can decide.
- Low in calories
- High in fiber
- High in folate
- High in vitamin C
- High in potassium
How do I cook beets?
First chop beets and then boil until soft. Chopped beets take 20-30 minutes to cook. Test beets by piercing with a sharp knife. If soft, the beets are done.
How do I peel beets?
Remove stalks and root from beet. Then use a vegetable peeler and peel off skin.
Beets are messy! That amazing red color gets all over everything! My advice to prevent staining is to wash everything as soon as possible. Try not to touch anything when you’ve been handling the beets.
What can I do with the beet greens?
What ingredients do I need for making Gingered Beets?
The ingredient list is simple
- Fresh beets
- Fresh ginger root
How do I make Gingered Beets
- Peel and cut beets
- Place beets in sauce pan
- Add three slices of fresh ginger
- Cover with water
- Boil until beets are soft
- Add honey and reduce heat to a simmer
- Reduce heat and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove beets and discard remaining liquid and ginger.
Don’t peel the ginger before using. Just slice into chunks and add to the pot along with the beets and water. The ginger will help add a bit of spice to the beets. I discard the ginger when done cooking, but you could eat it if you wanted!
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram #beyondthechickencoop
- 3 beets (peeled and chopped)
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Place beets and ginger into a sauce pot. Cover beets with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until beets are soft.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add honey. Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes more until the water has reduced leaving just a small amount of liquid.
- Remove beets from pan. Discard remaining liquid and ginger slices.
- Drizzle with an additional teaspoon of honey before serving. (optional)