It is still cranberry season! The bags of fresh cranberries are still in the stores so I am still allowed to make cranberry dishes! These cranberry nut bars are made with fresh cranberries and are given a bit of added crunch with sliced almonds. The red festive color is perfect for the holidays!
I used just one bowl to make these bars. Well, technically, just one food processor. That’s even better than one bowl. With the food processor you just put everything in and push pulse…. it’s that easy. I did the crust first. Placed the dry dough into a baking dish and then used the same bowl, leftover crumbs and all, for the cranberry filling. Easy prep….easy cleanup!
Tart cranberries with a shortbread crust and toasted almonds
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup almonds toasted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 Tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whole cranberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- In a food processor, put flour, sugar, butter and toasted almonds.
- Pulse until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is incorporated throughout.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. Flatten dough with hands.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the same bowl, add sugar, eggs, milk, orange peel vanilla, and cranberries.
- Pulse into ingredients are mixed and cranberries are finely chopped.
- Pour filling over hot crust.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds on top.
- Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool before slicing.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
Other cranberries recipes you might want to try: