Easy to make chile relleno casserole is as delicious as regular chile relleno but in an easy to make casserole.
Perfect served as a main dish for dinner or even for breakfast or brunch!
Why make this recipe
Have you ever had chile relleno? The authentic version is a poblano pepper stuffed with cheese and then dipped into an egg batter and deep fried. They are delicious, but take a bit of work to get them just right.
I have a much easier version with this chile casserole. This recipe comes from my mother-in-law that she got it from a friend years ago.
I think she's probably been making this for more than 40 years. When you've got something this delicious, it becomes a regular recipe made again and again.
This dish starts with the peppers. The better the peppers, the better the casserole. I used poblano peppers and roasted, peeled and seeded them. Read this post on roasting chile peppers to find out how I roast my peppers.
Using fresh peppers is the best, but they aren't always available or you might be limited on time. I often freeze roasted peppers in the summertime and the frozen peppers can be thawed and used.
You can also buy canned roasted chilies at the store. Try to get the whole chilies, not diced.
- Peppers - I used fresh roasted poblano peppers. You can use any mild pepper or use canned roasted chile peppers
- Cheese - For this recipe, I used Monterey Jack. Feel free to use part cheddar and part Jack cheese. Pepper Jack cheese would also be delicious and add a little extra spice.
- Milk - Whole milk or whatever you have on hand
Steps to make
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray an 8x11 casserole dish with a nonstick spray
- Slowly whisk flour into milk until smooth
- Add seasonings and baking powder
- Add mixture to eggs and whisk to combine
- Place a layer of chilies in the bottom of the casserole dish
- Sprinkle on ⅓ of the shredded cheese
- Add another layer of chilies and another ⅓ of the cheese
- Pour egg mixture over casserole
- Add remaining cheese
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes
- Allow dish to rest for 10 minutes before serving
Frequently asked questions
Poblano peppers vary in heat. This dish is mild to medium in heat.
Insert a knife in the center of the casserole and pull out. If it is eggy, cook for another 5 minutes.
You can prepare all the ingredients ahead of time and then assemble when ready to cook.
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator. To eat, reheat in the microwave until heated through.
More delicious Mexican dishes
- Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- Beef Chimichangas
- Refried Beans
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Shredded Chicken
- Mexican Layered Dip
- Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
More main dish recipes
Chile Relleno Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Lightly spray an 11x7 inch casserole dish with a nonstick spray
- Place eggs in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until well mixed8 eggs
- Place milk in a separate bowl. Slowly whisk in flour, baking powder and seasonings½ cup milk, ⅓ cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper
- Whisk milk mixture into eggs
- Place one layer of chilies on the bottom of the casserole dish. Chilies should be cut open and laid flat in a single layer.6-8 poblano peppers
- Sprinkle ⅓ of the cheese over the chilies1 pound Monterey jack cheese
- Repeat with another layer of chilies and another ⅓ of the cheese
- Pour egg mixture over entire casserole
- Add remaining cheese to the top
- Bake uncovered in preheated 350° oven for 35-40 minutes
- Allow casserole to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing and serving
- Top with freshly chopped cilantro or parsley before serving, if desired
- Amount of poblano peppers varies due to size of peppers. You want enough to cover two layers
- To check if the casserole is baked through, insert a knife in the center of the casserole and pull out. If it is eggy, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Use canned roasted whole chilies in place of fresh roasted chilies
- Use a combination of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese