Swirled Pesto and Parmesan Cheese Baked in a delicious Cheesy Pesto Bread. This savory bread is filled with a layer of basil pesto and then rolled and shaped into a delicious loaf of bread.
Calling all pesto lovers! You've got to try this Cheesy Pest Bread! If you love pesto then I'm sure you already use pesto with pasta and on pizza and probably even on grilled cheese sandwiches, but how about baked right into a crusty loaf of bread?
I've been eating this bread alongside salads, with pasta topped with marinara sauce and as a savory treat all by itself.
To Shape Bread
This bread is rolled out like a sweet roll and filled with pesto and Parmesan cheese. It's then rolled into a log, shaped into an "S" and sliced across the top so all the deliciousness is exposed while it's baking. Not only is this Cheesy Pesto Bread delicious, it's also gorgeous.
As the bread rises, the slit begins to open a bit wider.
Just before baking brush with olive oil and sprinkle with more cheese.
If you love making homemade bread you might want to try these other recipes:
- Honey Oat Bread
- Multi-Grain Bread
- White Wheat Bread
- Garlic Pull Apart Bread
- Potato Bread
- Pesto Garlic Bread
Don't forget to PIN this recipe for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my bread recipes.
Cheesy Pesto Bread
- ½ cup pesto
- ⅓ cup Parmesan Cheese (shredded)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
Make the Dough
- In a large bowl for a stand mixer, add milk, water and yeast. Stir lightly and let stand for 5 minutes until bubbly.
- Add egg, salt, olive oil and 1 cup of flour. Mix.
- Add remaining flour one cup at a time, mixing between each addition.
- Knead dough in machine for 5 minutes or by hand for 10 minutes.
- Place in a large bowl that has been lightly greased with olive oil. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Gently deflate dough and divide into two.
- Roll out first piece into a long rectangle, approximately 6 X 18"
- Add ¼ cup of the pesto and half the parmesan cheese.
- Roll dough together to form a long log. Place seam side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or directly on the baking sheet lightly greased with olive oil.
- Form bread into an "S" tucking ends into the log.
- Gently slice through the top of the bread with a sharp knife. You want to slice through about a ¼ of an inch.
- Repeat with second piece of dough.
- Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Just before baking, brush olive oil on the dough and sprinkle on parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow bread to cool on a baking rack before slicing.
- Slice each loaf into approximately 10 slices.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
The inspiration for this bread came from King Arthur Flour,
Chicken Malai Boti says
Cheesy pesto bread recipe is my favorite dish.I made it many times its taste so awesome.
Ashika | Gardening Foodie says
I love homemade bread...it creates such a wonderful aroma around the home. This is a beautiful recipe, combining pesto into the bread. I am looking forward to trying out this recipe. Absolutely love it!!!
The smell of bread baking is so delicious! This cheesy pesto bread is one of our favorites.