This Baked Cheesy Egg Casserole is perfect for a crowd or a breakfast celebration. Filled with ham and three types of cheese.
Breakfast or brunch
This cheesy baked egg casserole is perfect for breakfast or brunch anytime of the year. But it's also perfect for Christmas morning.
These cheesy baked eggs can be assembled the day before and then just popped in the oven in the morning to bake.
This egg casserole serves eight people, but if you have a crowd, it's easy to double. Leftovers are perfect for late risers or even as an early lunch.
This recipe came from a friend many years ago. The original name of this dish was Cottage Baked Eggs. My friend received the recipe from a bed and breakfast, but the dish wasn't named for some cute little cottage. Nope, it was named for the secret ingredient in this dish!
This dish got its original name from the cottage cheese that is added! This dish is delicious. The cottage cheese disappears when baked and just leaves an extra creaminess.
- Eggs - I use our farm fresh eggs, but any eggs will work. You can also use a low cholesterol egg mix, like Egg Beaters
- Cheese - Three types of cheese - cottage cheese, cheddar cheese and Monterey jack cheese
- Ham - You could also use cooked bacon or cooked sausage or omit the meat altogether
- Bell Peppers - I love using a red bell pepper, but this is up to you. Select any color bell pepper. You could also add some roasted chile peppers too!
Add a variety of veggies
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Sauteed onions
- Thinly sliced spinach
Change up the cheese
- Pepper Jack
- Crumbled bacon
- Cooked breakfast sausage
- Or leave out the meat and make it vegetarian
To make ahead of time
If you are preparing this dish the night before, simply mix everything together except the butter. Cover and refrigerate.
In the morning, melt the butter in your baking dish and add the egg mixture. You may need to increase the baking time by 5-10 minutes
Keep an eye on your casserole. You don't want it overcooked. I used a deep pie dish and mine took 50 minutes. If your dish isn't as deep, decrease your time.
More great breakfast recipes
- Ham and Spinach Quiche
- Hash Brown Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Strata
- Denver Scramble
- Oatmeal Banana Muffins
- Mini Frittatas
- Cranberry Sweet Rolls
- Puff Pastry Baked Eggs
- Cream Cheese Danish
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my breakfast recipes!
Cheesy Baked Egg Casserole
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl.10 eggs
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix½ cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper
- Stir in cottage cheese, shredded cheeses, ham and bell pepper.2 cups diced ham, 1 ¾ cup cottage cheese, 1 cup cheddar cheese, 1 whole red bell pepper, 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
- Place butter in a 2 quart baking dish. Place dish in preheated 350 degree oven until butter is melted.¼ cup butter
- Remove from oven. Swirl butter around bottom and sides of dish.
- Pour in egg mixture.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Baking time may vary depending on size of baking dish and the amount of added veggies. Check for doneness by giving baking dish a gentle giggle or by inserting a butter knife into the center. Knife should not have any raw egg mixture when done.
- This dish can be made ahead of time up to mixing all ingredients together. Cover mixing bowl and store in refrigerator. When ready to bake proceed with melting butter in baking dish. This may increase baking time by 10 minutes.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.