Carrot cake is a perfect dessert for a birthday celebration or a casual get-together.
What is it about a cake made with carrots? People either love it or hate it! I love it!
This cake is made with cooked carrots, shredded coconut, chopped pecans and crushed pineapple. It's delicious eaten just on its own or topped with a cream cheese frosting.
What ingredients do I need to make this cake?
- baking soda
How do you make carrot cake?
You will not believe how simple this carrot cake is to make! You just put all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the wet ingredients and mix together.
Then you dump in all the yummy extras - carrots, coconut, pecans, and pineapple. Stir it all together, bake it and it's done! Easy Peasy!
What type of frosting is best?
I love a homemade cream cheese frosting with this carrot cake, but a great buttercream would be delicious too. You could also dust a bit of powdered sugar on the top and call it good. The choice is all yours.
What shape should I bake this cake?
I like to use two 8 inch rounds when making this cake. You could also use a rectangular cake pan and make a sheet cake.
Other Favorite Desserts Include:
Don't forget to PIN for later.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram #beyondthechickencoop
- 8 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 8 ounces butter (at room temperature)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Prepare two 8 inch cake pans by lining bottom with parchment paper and lightly greasing. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl combine eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Add egg mixture to dry mixture. Stir together.
- Add pecans, carrots, coconut and pineapple. Mix until incorporated.
- Divide mixture into prepared cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool on a baking rack for 15 minutes. Remove from cake pans and continue cooling until completely cooled.
- In a mixing bowl add cream cheese and butter. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Place one cake on a dish. Place frosting on top. Place second cake on top. Frost top and sides.
- Sprinkle with additional chopped pecans (optional)