Fresh Apricots make a delicious filling in these Apricot Sweet Rolls. These are your favorite cinnamon roll filled with a fruit filing.
I’m down to my final few apricots left from the Peach Man. I bought a huge box of ripe apricots from our local fruit stand that needed to be used right away. I made homemade apricot jam and I have made these apricot sweet rolls three times! The kids are in sweet roll heaven!
For the first batch, I made an apricot filling with sugar, cornstarch and fresh cut apricots. When I went to roll up the dough I had nothing but a giant mess.
The filling oozed out the sides and all over the counter. Then I cut the rolls….more mess. The end result was a delicious sweet roll, but I lost half the filling in the process.
I started batch two the next morning. This time I took the fresh apricots and cut them up into teeny tiny pieces. That was it.
Once the dough was rolled out, I brushed it with butter, sprinkled it with sugar and then sprinkled on the fresh cut apricots. Rolling the dough was just like rolling up cinnamon rolls; perfectly easy and absolutely beautiful.
The kids thought the rolls were delicious!
The third batch was simply because I still had a handful of apricots left and this time I just couldn’t resist!
I used my cinnamon roll recipe for the dough and then just added a very light sweet drizzle of icing at the end. These sweet rolls are delicious!
Other Great Recipes to Try
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my baking recipes!
Apricot Sweet Rolls
- 1 cup milk (warmed)
- 2¼ teaspoons yeast (or one package)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- ½ cup butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 - 5½ cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh apricots
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- In a large mixing bowl add milk, yeast and sugar. Let sit 5-10 minutes until yeast is bubbly.
- Add eggs, butter, salt and 2 cups of flour. Mix
- With mixer running, continue adding flour 1 cup at a time. You might not need all the flour.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Place in a well greased bowl and cover.
- Let stand until doubled, 60-90 minutes.
- Punch down and place on a flat surface.
- Roll out into a 12 x 18" rectangle.
- Brush with melted butter (reserve some of the butter for the top of rolls)
- Sprinkle sugar over butter and then sprinkle cut apricots.
- Roll dough and seal seam.
- Cut into 1" slices and place in a buttered baking dish.
- Let rise approx 30 minutes
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool in dish.
- Mix glaze ingredients together and pour over baked and cooled cinnamon rolls.