Pasta e Fagioli is an Italian soup with pasta and beans. It is a delicious and hearty meal perfect for lunch or dinner.
Sometimes we need a warm bowl of soup – especially on these cold snowy days! Pasta e Fagioli is an Italian soup with pasta and beans. This is a completely satisfying soup for lunch or dinner.
For this soup I used white beans, but you could also use kidney beans, garbanzo beans or really almost any kind of bean. The pasta is pretty flexible too. You just want a small sized pasta. Use a delicious homemade chicken broth as a base for this soup. You can also use homemade canned tomatoes if you have them on hand.
I made a huge pot of this soup for dinner and then reheated the leftovers for lunch the next day. Totally delicious and satisfying for both meals.
To make this soup, you start with bacon! Yes, bacon!!! The bacon is cooked crisp and then reserved for topping when serving. You use all that delicious bacon grease to saute the onions and garlic. It really sets the flavor up for an amazing soup.
The most difficult part is not nibbling on all those cooked crunchy bacon bits! You may want to consider cooking an extra piece just for nibbling!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my soup recipes.
Pasta e Fagioli
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups carrots (finely diced)
- 3 stalks celery (finely diced)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz can)
- 2 cans white beans (15 oz can)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup pasta (small size)
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Chopped parsley
- Cut bacon into small bits. Cook in a large soup pot until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Keep bacon grease in pot.
- Add diced onion. Cook over medium heat until onion is soft. Add garlic and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Add one cup of chicken broth. Stir and try to stir all brown bits on bottom of pan into the broth. Add remaining broth.
- Add carrots and celery and can of tomatoes with juice.
- Drain and rinse beans. Add to pot.
- Add salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 30-40 minutes until carrots are cooked through.
- Add pasta. Continue simmering for 8-10 minutes until pasta is cooked through. Taste soup and add additional salt and pepper as needed. Remove bay leaf.
- Dish up soup and sprinkle on a small amount of Parmesan cheese, bacon bits and fresh parsley.