Fresh veggies, a light dressing and couscous makes a perfect salad in this Mediterranean Couscous Salad.
We went camping this past weekend and had a fabulous time. The weather was semi-cooperative. We weren't caught in the deluge of rain that happened the night before we went. But the temperatures were cool and the sun didn't really come out.
When we returned home we unloaded all our gear and started the washer. Unfortunately our washing machine decided to die. It was done. No more washing was to be done. It made a sad groaning sound and it wouldn't spin. Now I have a huge pile of camping stuff needing to be washed. I had to go shopping for a new washing machine, but it won't be here until Friday.
What does Mediterranean Couscous Salad have to do with a camping trip and a broken washing machine? Nothing. Nothing at all!
What is Couscous?
Couscous is a very small pasta. You can buy it in a box or in bulk.
If you buy in a box, don't buy the flavored variety. You want just plain couscous.
This is one of my favorite salads to eat in the summer. It's light and refreshing. Leftovers store well in the refrigerator and taste great the next day too!
Are there different types of couscous?
Yes! There are three main types of couscous.
- Moroccan - this is the smallest of couscous and the most common found in the stores
- Israeli - a larger couscous. Also called pearl couscous
- Lebanese - the largest sized couscous
Other delicious salads
Don't forget to pin for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup red onion (diced)
- 1 cup cucumber (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper (diced)
- ½ cup Kalamata olives (quartered)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- Make the couscous by heating the water in a pot. When it boils, add the couscous and stir with a fork. Cover and remove from heat. After 5 minutes, remove lid and fluff with a fork. Place in a large bowl. Let cool slightly.
- Once couscous has cooled, add onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers and olives.
- To make the dressing, in a separate bowl, whisk olive oil and vinegar together. Add garlic, mustard, salt, pepper and oregano. Stir.
- Add dressing to couscous mixture. Toss lightly.
- Add parsley and toss lightly again.