Couscous Cheddar Cakes are perfect with a salad or eaten by themselves. These delicious couscous patties are a prefect way to use up leftover couscous.
These couscous cheddar cakes are hard to resist. They’ve got a great crunchy crust and a soft, cheesy center. I love to eat them with a salad, almost like a giant crouton.
But these couscous cheddar cakes are also great to just nibble on as an appetizer.
What is couscous?
Couscous is a type of pasta made with semolina flour. There are three main types of couscous. This recipes uses Moroccan couscous.
- Moroccan – this is the smallest of couscous and the most common found in the stores
- Israeli – a larger couscous. Also called pearl couscous
- Lebanese – the largest sized couscous
Forming the patties
First use a small scoop to form a uniform ball. Next flatten balls gently with your hands or with the bottom of a flat glass. I place the patties on a parchment lined baking sheet. It makes it easy to remove each patty when ready to cook.
Can I make couscous patties ahead of time?
These cakes can be made ahead of time, refrigerated and then cooked just before you need them. But the real beauty is they can be eaten hot, or cooled. I like them cooled when I eat them with a salad. A little warning…they tend to disappear while they are cooling!
They are truly hard to resist not eating just one! Okay, maybe that’s just me!
Do I have to use cheddar cheese?
I used cheddar cheese in this recipe, but you could also substitute other types of cheeses. These would be delicious with monterey jack cheese or gouda cheese.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious recipes!
Couscous Cheddar Cakes
- 1 cup cooked couscous (cooled)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives (chopped)
- 2 whole eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- In a bowl combine couscous, salt, pepper, chives and eggs.
- Fold in cheddar cheese.
- Form couscous mixture into patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan. Place half of the couscous patties in hot pan.
- Cook 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and repeat with remaining patties.