Marinated tomatoes in a light dressing make a perfect Heirloom Tomato Salad. This fresh salad can be made with a variety of cherry tomatoes or with just one kind. Use any type you have available and add a light dressing to make a delicious salad.
I’ve planted a ton of tomato plants and as soon as I am certain we are beyond the frost danger, they are going in the garden. By late August we will have more tomatoes than we know what to do with!
Sometimes I just can’t wait until my plants are producing. I am ready for fresh tomatoes right now! I bought a bunch of fresh heirloom cherry tomatoes and made this delicious marinated tomato salad.
This salad was super fresh and totally satisfied my cravings.
What is an Heirloom Tomato?
An heirloom tomato is a tomato seed that has been passed down from generation to generation. There are several varieties of heirloom tomatoes including heirloom cherry tomatoes.
Any type of really flavorful tomato would work in this salad. I liked this variety for the color and taste, but use what is available. If using a large tomato, cut into small, bite sized pieces.
Other Great Salads to Try
- Oriental Chicken Salad
- Pasta and Pea Salad
- Tuna Cobb Salad
- Pear and Blue Cheese Salad
- Couscous Salad
- Thai Pasta Salad
- Panzanella Salad
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious salad recipes!
Fresh tomato salad made with heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil.
- 2 Cups Fresh Heirloom Cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 3-4 leaves fresh basil slice thinly
- Slice large cherry tomatoes in half length wise. Place in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add all remaining, except basil. Mix together.
- Pour dressing over tomatoes.
- Sprinkle fresh basil over tomatoes.
- Gently stir
- For best results, let sit for at least 30 minutes.