Mini chocolate walnut tarts make an individual sweet treat. This decadent dessert has a rich chocolate filling topped with walnuts on a flaky crust.
Hello chocolate! These chocolate walnut tarts are just what you need when you want a special dessert or treat. I made these chocolate tarts mini sized.
I think it’s always fun to have your very own dessert.
Winter finally made a huge appearance here these past couple of weeks. Up until then, it had been pretty mild. We had 40 degree days in January and just a small amount of snow. Then last week we were hit with a cold blast and had temps below zero.
This week the snow came and just didn’t stop. We ended up with more than two feet of snow in just a couple of days! The good news is we also had two days of no school! You gotta love a good snow day.
What do you do when you get two extra days off? Well, there was a lot of shoveling and more shoveling and then we had to get in some sledding. I also had lots of time for baking! These tarts were one of the items I baked.
Making these tarts is a two step process. First you make the crust and then you make the filling. Then everything is baked altogether.
You do need mini tart pans to make this sweet treat. These pans have a removable bottom that makes removing the tarts from the pan a breeze.
How do you make the pastry crust?
- I find it easiest to use a food processor.
- Place all ingredients except water in food processor and blend
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, blending between each time
- When dough comes together, remove from food processor and form into a ball
- If dough is too sticky, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces
- Place each piece inside the mini tart pans and flatten dough down with your fingers
- Continue flattening dough up the sides of the pan
- Run a butter knife over the top of the pan to remove excess dough
- Place tart pans on a baking sheet
- Do not pre-bake crust
What is the best way to melt chocolate?
There are two great methods to melt chocolate. The first in using a double boiler and the second is in the microwave. I usually use a microwave because I find it’s easier.
- To microwave place chocolate in a microwave proof bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds at a time and then stir.
- Return to microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Continue until chocolate is nearly melted.
- Remove and stir until chocolate is fully melted.
How do I toast walnuts?
- Place walnuts on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Place in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Halfway through cooking time, give walnuts a gently stir.
What if I don’t have any walnuts?
Not a problem! You can substitute just about any nut. Pecans, hazelnuts or cashews would be great in this chocolate dessert too! Just use an equal amount called for in the recipe and toast nuts before using.
Making the chocolate mixture
- Combine eggs, butter, sugar, salt and vanilla together.
- Add chopped walnuts and melted chocolate
- Mix until combined
I made these in mini size so each person can have their own, but don’t be afraid to share your chocolate walnut tart with that special someone!
Some other favorite desserts I have include Chocolate Cream Pie, Strawberry Chocolate Shortcake, Flourless Chocolate Cake, Lemon Cupcakes, Cocoa Apple Cake, Chocolate Mousse and Strawberry Swiss Roll Cake.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop.
If you loved this recipe you’ll LOVE all the others in this category. Check out all my desserts here!
Mini tart filled with chocolate and walnuts
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
In a food processor add flour, sugar, salt and butter. Mix until combined.
Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing for 15 seconds between each addition.
Continue adding water until dough forms a ball. You might not add all 4 tablespoons of water.
Remove dough from food processor bowl and form a ball. Divide into 6 equal pieces. Place one piece in each mini tart pan.
Using your fingers, press dough evenly down over bottom and sides. Once all areas are covered, use a butter knife across the top of the pan to remove all excess dough. Set each tart pan on a baking sheet.
Place walnuts on a baking sheet and place in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Stir walnuts lightly halfway through baking time. Remove from oven and let cool.
Place chocolate in a microwave proof bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time, until chocolate is almost completely melted. Remove bowl from microwave and continue stirring until completely melted. Set aside and let cool slightly.
In a bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Stir in cooled walnuts.
Stir in slightly cooled chocolate.
Pour mixture into prepared tart shells.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Allow tarts to fully cool on a baking rack before removing from pans.