Plum Galette is a delicious rustic pie filled with fresh plums.
What do you do when you have a surplus of plums? Make plum galette! Actually, I’d make this even if I didn’t have a surplus of plums. In fact, I’d go searching for plums just to make this galette. A galette is simply a free form pie…more rustic than a regular pie. It is so much more forgiving than a regular pie too. If your crust isn’t perfect, it just adds to the charm!
I had never made a galette before or made any kind of dessert using plums. I don’t know what I was thinking…plums are fantastic as a dessert!
They actually reminded me a bit of a sour cherry in this pie. Needless to say, I will be making this again. In fact, I’ve made it twice in the last two weeks…that also means I’ve eaten a whole bunch of plum galette! The first time I made this, I kept all the fruit in the very center and folded the crust way over. It wasn’t nearly as pretty.
This time, I spread the fruit mixture out a bit and just folded over a couple of inches. It made a much prettier presentation.
When baking, I highly recommend placing this on a rimmed baking sheet lined with a piece of parchment paper. The first time, my filling spilled over and ran across my pan. I can’t even imagine the mess it would have made if it spilled into the oven. Trust me! Use a rimmed baking sheet.
I made my own pie dough for this recipe, but if you are in a pinch, you can use a ready made crust.
Other delicious desserts
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious dessert recipes!
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Butter (Cut into small pieces)
- 1/4 Cup Shortening
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 8-10 Tablespoons Cold Water
- 1 Tablespoon Cream or Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 4 Cups Plums (Cut into Halves and Quarters)
- 1 Cups Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- Make the Crust by adding flour, butter, and lard together in a bowl. Incorporate together until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add Salt and Sugar, Stir together.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture comes together.
- Place on lightly floured surface and roll into a 10-12 inch circle. Trim circle if needed.
- Move pie dough onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Mix, plums, sugar, and flour together in a bowl.
- Pour plum mixture on top of prepared pie dough.
- Spread mixture 2-3 inches to the end of dough.
- Gently fold over dough so dough just covers the end of the filling. Dough will overlap slightly as you fold inward.
- Brush cream over exposed part of dough. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes.