Plum Galette is a delicious rustic pie filled with fresh plums
What do you do when you have a surplus of plums? Make plum galette! Actually, I’d make this even if I didn’t have a surplus of plums. In fact, I’d go searching for plums just to make this galette. A galette is simply a free form pie…more rustic than a regular pie. It is so much more forgiving than a regular pie too. If your crust isn’t perfect, it just adds to the charm!
I had never made a galette before or made any kind of dessert using plums. I don’t know what I was thinking…plums are fantastic as a dessert!
They actually reminded me a bit of a sour cherry in this pie. Needless to say, I will be making this again. In fact, I’ve made it twice in the last two weeks…that also means I’ve eaten a whole bunch of plum galette! The first time I made this, I kept all the fruit in the very center and folded the crust way over. It wasn’t nearly as pretty.
This time, I spread the fruit mixture out a bit and just folded over a couple of inches. It made a much prettier presentation.
When baking, I highly recommend placing this on a rimmed baking sheet lined with a piece of parchment paper. The first time, my filling spilled over and ran across my pan. I can’t even imagine the mess it would have made if it spilled into the oven. Trust me! Use a rimmed baking sheet.
I made my own pie dough for this recipe, but if you are in a pinch, you can use a ready made crust.
Other plum recipes:
- Plum Jam
- Raspberry Plum Pie – From Completely Delicious
- Easy Plum Cobbler – From Saving Room for Dessert
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Rustic pie made with fresh plums
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Butter Cut into small pieces
- 1/4 Cup Shortening
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 8-10 Tablespoons Cold Water
- 1 Tablespoon Cream or Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 4 Cups Plums Cut into Halves and Quarters
- 1 Cups Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- Make the Crust by adding flour, butter, and lard together in a bowl. Incorporate together until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add Salt and Sugar, Stir together.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture comes together.
- Place on lightly floured surface and roll into a 10-12 inch circle. Trim circle if needed.
- Move pie dough onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Mix, plums, sugar, and flour together in a bowl.
- Pour plum mixture on top of prepared pie dough.
- Spread mixture 2-3 inches to the end of dough.
- Gently fold over dough so dough just covers the end of the filling. Dough will overlap slightly as you fold inward.
Brush cream over exposed part of dough. Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes.