Fresh strawberries and rhubarb are a perfect pairing in a strawberry rhubarb upside down cake.
Spring is rhubarb season. Rhubarb is such an awesome plant. It just comes up as soon as the snow is gone. A frost or even a late snow doesn’t hurt it and best of all…we can harvest it before anything else is even close to being ready.
I love rhubarb all by itself. When I was a kid, I would even eat it raw like a celery stalk. Talk about sour! Whew! For this upside down cake, I’ve paired it with strawberries.
Strawberries and rhubarb are a perfect combination and make a wonderful gooey topping for this strawberry rhubarb upside down cake!
This upside down cake has become one of our favorites. The yellow cake is a perfect match for the strawberries and rhubarb.
A few other strawberry desserts include:
Be sure to check out all my delicious desserts!
Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture.
- Mix in milk. Set aside.
- In a 10 inch cake pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Swirl butter around so it covers all surfaces.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over melted butter.
- Layer strawberries on top of brown sugar.
- Sprinkle rhubarb over strawberries.
- Carefully spread cake batter over rhubarb. The cake batter is fairly thick.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes until cake is done. Test with a toothpick inserted in the center. If if comes out clean, it is done.
- Rest on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- While still warm, run a knife around outside of cake. Place a large plate over the top of the cake. Carefully, but quickly flip cake pan and plate over. Once the cake falls onto plate, remove cake pan. Continue cooling on plate.