Fresh strawberries and rhubarb are a perfect pairing in a strawberry rhubarb upside down cake.
Spring is rhubarb season. Rhubarb is such an awesome plant. It just comes up as soon as the snow is gone. A frost or even a late snow doesn't hurt it and best of all...we can harvest it before anything else is even close to being ready.
I love rhubarb all by itself. When I was a kid, I would even eat it raw like a celery stalk. Talk about sour! Whew! For this upside down cake, I've paired it with strawberries.
Strawberries and rhubarb are a perfect combination and make a wonderful gooey topping for this strawberry rhubarb upside down cake!
This upside down cake has become one of our favorites. The yellow cake is a perfect match for the strawberries and rhubarb.
A few other strawberry desserts include:
Be sure to check out all my delicious desserts!
Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture.
- Mix in milk. Set aside.
- In a 10 inch cake pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Swirl butter around so it covers all surfaces.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over melted butter.
- Layer strawberries on top of brown sugar.
- Sprinkle rhubarb over strawberries.
- Carefully spread cake batter over rhubarb. The cake batter is fairly thick.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes until cake is done. Test with a toothpick inserted in the center. If if comes out clean, it is done.
- Rest on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- While still warm, run a knife around outside of cake. Place a large plate over the top of the cake. Carefully, but quickly flip cake pan and plate over. Once the cake falls onto plate, remove cake pan. Continue cooling on plate.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.