Homemade Chicken Pot Pie with a Puff Pastry Crust. This classic comfort food is filled with chunks of chicken, carrots, celery and peas in a creamy sauce.
Easily made with store bought puff pastry or make your own homemade pie crust.
Why make this recipe
This homemade chicken pot pie is perfect comfort food. This dish is hearty enough to satisfy your hungriest eaters. Add a salad and some crusty bread and you've got a complete meal.
This time of year I crave comfort foods and this is a perfect comfort food dish. During these cold days of winter, I want something that's going to warm me up.
I feel like I get a double warmth when making this dish - once from the oven while it's baking and once again while eating.
A pot pie is a savory pie topped with a crust. My recipe has a creamy sauce so full of flavor you'll want to eat every last drop. This pot pie is a cross between a soup and a stew with a flaky crust.
Make the filling
- In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add onions, carrots, and celery. Sauté over medium heat for about 10 minutes until veggies are slightly soft. Add garlic and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Scrape veggies into a bowl and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add butter and flour. Mix well together with a whisk. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Slowly add chicken broth while whisking. Heat until mixture begins to thicken. Stir in milk, salt pepper, thyme and parsley. Simmer 3-5 minutes over low heat.
- Add chicken, peas and cooked veggies.
- Stir until combined. Remove from heat and distribute equally between two lightly greased deep pie dishes.
Add the crust
- Roll out puff pastry. Place on top of mixture in pie dish.
- Fold edges under puff pastry.
- Crimp edges.
- Make slits in the top of the crust.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Place pies on a baking sheet and place in a preheated 400 degree oven.
Allow pies to cool 10 minutes before serving. The filling will be loose and serving in a bowl is a good idea.
Type of crust
I topped this chicken pot pie with puff pastry. You can use my easy puff pastry recipe or purchased puff pastry. You could also use your favorite pie crust.
I made this in two deep dish pie plates, but you could also use a large rectangular baking dish if you prefer. This recipe can be halved once the filling is made and you can freeze half the filling for another day.
Tips for Making Ahead
- You can prepare filling ahead of time.
- Cool and place in a covered container in fridge.
- Remove about ½ an hour before baking.
- Add crust and continue recipe as directed.
Tips for Freezing
- To freeze, make filling and cool.
- Divide into two portions.
- Place each portion in a freezer safe container and freeze.
- To use, fully thaw filling and then continue recipe as directed.
More Comfort Foods
More delicious comfort foods that are perfect during the cold days of winter or whenever you want a delicious, nourishing meal.
- Creamy Chicken Orzo
- White Chicken Chili
- Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Bake
- Clam Chowder
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Baked Chicken Pasta
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my main dish recipes.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 cup carrots (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon sherry wine (optional )
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 cups cooked chicken (chopped)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add onions, carrots, and celery. Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stir often.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, add butter and flour. Mix well together with a whisk. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add chicken broth, while whisking.
- Heat until mixture begins to thicken.
- Stir in milk, salt, pepper, sherry, thyme. and parsley.
- Let simmer for 3-5 minutes over low heat. Do not boil.
- Stir in chicken and peas and cooked vegetable mixture. Remove from heat.
- Use two deep dish pie plates or one large rectangular baking dish. Spray dish lightly. Add filling.
- Roll out puff pastry. Place on top of mixture. Seal pastry to edge of dish. Slice a few slits in the top of the pastry.
- Combine egg and water together in a bowl.
- Brush over top of puff pastry.
- Bake pies in a preheated 400 degree oven for 35-45 minutes until mixture is bubbly and pastry is golden.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- This recipe makes two large pot pies. You may halve the recipe to make just one pot pie.
- Mixture can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Pie crust can be used in place of the puff pastry.
- Turkey can be substituted for the chicken.
- Each pie serves 6 people
This recipe was originally posted in November of 2017. Several pictures have been added showing step by step directions and the recipe has had a few minor adjustments.