Creamy Chicken Filling in a Baked Tacquito
Baked Chicken Taquitos are one of the meals that are easy to make and taste just like you are in a Mexican Restaurant. Taquitos are like mini tacos all rolled up ready to eat. Okay, the ingredients are bit different than regular tacos, but you get the idea.
These baked chicken taquitos have a creamy, cheesy filling with just the right amount of spice. The filling can be made ahead of time and then the taquitos can be assembled just before baking.
The baking allows a crisp tortilla but none of the added fat you find with the traditional fried taquito.
I used traditional corn tortillas for this dish. You could choose to use flour tortillas as well. Flour tortillas tend to be just a bit thicker than corn and will offer a slightly different flavor.
Corn tortillas are very crumbly when you roll them. In order to prevent cracking place 3-5 tortillas between two damp paper towels. Microwave between 15-20 seconds. You just want them warmed. Remove from microwave, but leave in the paper towels. Remove one at a time and add filling and then roll up.
Place rolled, filled tortillas on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet with the seam side down. If I butt them against the end of a cookie sheet and then tightly next to each other they won't unroll. The tortillas don't stay warm for very long so work fast and in small batches.
My Mexican shredded chicken is perfect for using in the filling!
You might also want to check out these black bean flautas!
Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 8 oz cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup chili verde sauce
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken (shredded)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12-15 corn tortillas
- Stir cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Stir chili verde sauce, and cumin powder.
- Stir in shredded cheeses, chicken and cilantro.
- Wrap 3 tortillas at a time in a paper towel and microwave for 10-15 seconds, until tortillas are pliable.
- Place filling on each tortilla and roll up. Place on a baking sheet seem side down.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes until mixture is warmed through.