Delicious layers of oats with an applesauce filling.
Servings: 12 people
- 1 cup butter cut into small pieces
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup oats
- 1½ - 2 cups applesauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a 9 x 13" baking dish with a non-stick spray .
In a food processor bowl, add butter, brown sugar and flour. Pulse until mixture forms small, pea sized crumbs.
1 cup butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 cups flour
Add cinnamon and oats. Pulse just until incorporated.
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, 1 cup oats
Place half the oat mixture into prepared baking dish. Press mixture down with your hands.
In a small mixing bowl combine applesauce and cinnamon.
1½ - 2 cups applesauce, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pour filling on top of oat mixture. Spread evenly over oat mixture.
Sprinkle remaining oat mixture over applesauce.
Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 40 - 45 minutes.
Allow bars to fully cool before slicing into 12 equal pieces.
Tips for making
If you don't have a food processor:
- Use salted butter that is softened. The butter should be soft enough to spread easily on a slice of bread
- Use old fashioned oats, which are a bit thicker than a quick oat.
- Some people prefer not quite as much applesauce filling. You can use 1 ½ cups instead of the 2 cups.
- Allow bars to cool before slicing
- Store any leftover bars in a covered container
- First, you can place the crust ingredients in a bowl and mix using a mixer with beaters. Make certain the butter is very soft, but not melted.
- Second you could mix with your hands. Place ingredients in a bowl and use your hands or your fingers to mix. This may be a bit messy, but your hands are really a great kitchen tool. Simply use your fingers to mash butter into the flour and oat mixture.
Serving: 1Bar | Calories: 324kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 141mg | Potassium: 105mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 485IU | Vitamin C: 0.4mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1.5mg