Sourdough English Muffins
Homemade Sourdough English Muffins
Servings: 24 Muffins
- 2 cups milk warmed
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 - 6 1/2 cups flour
Combine milk, yeast and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes until bubbly.
Add sourdough starter, butter, eggs, salt and 2 cups of flour. Mix and then continue adding flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough comes together and forms a ball. You may not use all the flour.
Knead for 10 minutes
Put dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside until doubled in size, approximately 1 -2 hours. Rise time varies depending on the temperature of your kitchen.
When dough has doubled, gently punch down and form into another ball. Divide dough into 24 pieces. To do this, divide dough into quarters and then each quarter into 6 equal pieces.
Form each piece into a ball. Gently flatten dough so it forms a 4 inch disc. Place dough on a surface covered with corn meal to help avoid sticking to surface. Allow dough to rise for 30 - 45 minutes.
Just before cooking, flatten again so muffin has a flat surface.
Preheat a cast iron skillet or other skillet over medium low heat. Place 3-4 muffins on hot surface so muffins are not touching.
Cook for 3 minutes per side and flip. Cook again for 3 minutes and flip again. Repeat one more time. Total cooking time is approximately 12-15 minutes per muffin. Press muffin down lightly with spatula with each flip. This helps maintain a flat muffin shape and not a rounded shape.
Adjust temperature of stove as needed. If muffins burn before 3 minutes, lower heat.
Cool muffins on a baking rack until fully cooled.
Repeat with remaining muffins until all muffins are cooked
Tips for making English Muffins
- Use a cast iron skillet
- Adjust heat as needed - I have a gas stove with a dial temperature adjuster with numbers 1-10 (1 being the lowest setting) I keep my burner set between 2 and 3. I often adjust throughout the cooking process.
- If your burner is too hot, the muffins will cook too quickly on the outside and will not cook on the inside
- If your burner is too cool, the cooking process will take too long and you will get a very hard crust
- Flip muffins every 2-3 minutes. Continue flipping until a total cooking time of 12-15 minutes
- Lightly flatten the muffins with a spatula after every flip
- Allow muffins to fully cool before splitting and eating
Serving: 1Muffin | Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 129mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 112IU | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 2mg