Easy Puff Pastry
Make your own puff pastry with a few ingredients and a few simple steps.
Servings: 1 Roll
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup water ice cold
Place flour and salt into bowl of a stand mixer. Combine together.Add butter. Mix together with the paddle attachment. Mix until mixture is coarse and butter is smeared with the flour.
Add ice water. Mix just until the ingredients come together. Mixture will still be crumbly.
Dump mixture onto counter. Lightly knead together until dough forms a ball.
Lightly flour surface and rolling pin. Roll dough out into a rectangle approximately 8 x 12 inches. Keep edges straight. If edges become rough, just straighten back by pushing edges back towards center. Reapply flour to counter and rolling pin as needed.
Give dough a quarter of a turn so long side is facing you. Beginning on the left side, fold dough over 2/3 of the way, like folding a letter. Fold right side all the way over the dough.
Repeat rolling and folding two more times.
Nutritional value is figured 1 piece of cooked puff pastry with dough cut into 18 pieces.
- Cut butter into small cubes. Keep butter chilled until just before using. I cubed my butter and then put it back into the refrigerator until I needed it.
- If you house is hot, chill flour before using.
- Use ice cold water.
- When rolling out dough, try to keep in a rectangular shape. You can reshape ends with your hands or a bench scraper.
- Always fold your dough the same direction.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in a zip top bag.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before using.
- Dough may be frozen for up to 3 months.
- If frozen, remove from dough at least two hours prior to using or thaw in refrigerator overnight.
- Use in any recipe calling for puff pastry.
- This dough will be a bit more difficult to roll out than store bought dough. It contains all butter. If the dough is too firm after the 4 hour chilling, let the dough rest for 5 minutes on the counter. As the dough warms, it will become easier to roll. As dough continues to warm, it will become sticky. Just pop back into the refrigerator for a few minutes until the butter firms up.
Calories: 141kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 155mg | Potassium: 18mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg