Turkey Tortilla Soup
A Delicious soup filled with turkey, black beans, corn and green chilies.
Servings: 8 people
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 8-10 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 1 8 oz can roasted chili peppers chopped
- 2 cups cooked turkey shredded or chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
When soft, add garlic and corn meal. Stir over low heat for 1 minute.
Add chili powder. Stir for 1 minute. Do not overcook chili powder or it will turn bitter.
Add broth and cook over medium heat until simmering.
Add black beans, corn, turkey and tomatoes.
Add salt and pepper.
Simmer for an additional 5 minutes until heated through.
Slice corn tortillas into thin strips.
Place on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
Toss strips with your fingers and spray again.Sprinkle with taco seasoning.
Place in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and toss lightly.Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes or until strips are crispy.
Tips for making turkey tortilla soup
- If your family doesn't like spicy, decrease the amount of chili powder used.
- Most canned chilies have a heat index - mild, medium or hot. Select the type that best fits your taste.
- Add all the juices from the canned tomatoes.
- Be certain to rinse all the sauce from the canned black beans before using in this soup.
- Can also be made using leftover chicken.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 1297mg | Potassium: 423mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 418IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2mg