Buttercream frosting rich in taste and perfect for piping.
Servings: 5 cups
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 Tablespoons milk
In a stand mixer, cream butter and shortening together.
Mix in powdered sugar. I add half at a time, mix and then add remaining sugar. Mixture will be thick.
Add vanilla and 2 tablespoons of milk. Mix
Continue adding milk until desired consistency.
This recipe will frost 24 cupcakes or one, 9 inch layer cake. The amount of frosting used will depend on the piping.
- If frosting is too thick, stir in a bit more milk. Just add a little at a time.
- Keep leftover frosting covered in fridge for up to a week. Bring to room temperature and stir before using.
- If your powdered sugar has lumps, sift before using.
- Do not overwhip the frosting or you may get little air bubbles.
- Food coloring may be added after the frosting is completely mixed. I use gel food coloring rather than liquid food coloring. The colors are more vibrant and it won't thin your frosting.
- This recipe may be doubled.
- For warmer weather use, decrease the amount of butter and replace with shortening.
- If you need your frosting to be pure white, you will want to use an imitation clear vanilla.
Serving: 0.25cup | Calories: 351kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 83mg | Potassium: 7mg | Sugar: 45g | Vitamin A: 287IU | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg