A tasty bar with a shortbread crust and an apricot filling topped with sliced almonds.
Servings: 24 Bars
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup butter 1 ½ sticks cut into small cubes. I use salted butter.
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ cups apricot jam
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
Place flour, sugar, butter, baking powder and salt in a food processor bowl
1 ¾ cups flour, ¾ cup sugar, ¾ cup butter, 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
Pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs
Lightly beat egg along with almond extract
1 egg, ½ teaspoon almond extract
Add beaten egg to food processor. Pulse 3-5 times. Mixture will be very dry and crumbly
Add flour mixture to a greased 9x13" pan
Spread flour mixture evenly in pan and press firmly down with hands or the bottom of a flat measuring cup
Add apricot jam on top of the crust. With the back of a spoon, spread jam evenly over crust. Don't worry if the crust sticks slightly to the jam and pulls up a bit.
1 ½ cups apricot jam
Sprinkle almonds evenly over the top of the jam
¾ cup sliced almonds
Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes
Allow bars to fully cool before serving
After 5 minutes of cooling, run a knife around the outside edges of the bars to release any jam that may stick to the baking dish
To make without a food processor:
Tips and variations:
- Add flour, sugar, butter, baking powder and salt to a bowl. Use your hands to smoosh or flatten the cubes of butter into the flour mixture.
- Add beaten egg and almond extract and combine lightly with a fork
- Crust mixture will be very dry and crumbly. Be certain to press it firmly into a greased baking dish.
- Baking dish size can vary from a 9x13" to an 8x11" - the smaller the dish, the thicker the crust. Baking time may increase 3-5 minutes with a smaller dish.
- Use vanilla instead of almond extract
- Replace the sliced almonds with chopped pecans
- Use your favorite variety of jam - blackberry, strawberry, raspberry or rhubarb would all be great!
- Allow bars to fully cool before serving or they will be too soft and crumbly
Serving: 1Bar | Calories: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 84mg | Potassium: 75mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 218IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg