Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Flavored ground chicken with water chestnuts and green onions in a lettuce wrap.
Servings: 12 Wraps
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon siracha sauce optional
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons ginger freshly grated
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion finely diced, about ½ cup
- 8 ounces water chestnuts 1 can, drained and chopped
- 8 green onions chopped, whites and green
- 1 head bibb lettuce washed and leaves separated
- salt and pepper if needed
Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, siracha sauce, sesame oil, ginger and garlic together in a bowl.
Divide sauce into two containers- 1 for the chicken mixture, 1 for drizzling over the wraps
Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the olive oil so the pan is lightly covered. Add chicken and cook until no more pink is showing. Be certain to break meat up into small pieces while cooking.
Remove cooked chicken from pan. In the same pan, add a tablespoon of olive oil and then the onions. Sauté until onions are soft and lightly golden, approximately 3-5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium and add the water chestnuts, cooked chicken and half of the prepared sauce (keeping other half for drizzling over the wraps).
Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add green onions and stir until well incorporated. Remove from heat and place in a serving bowl.
Substitutions and Variations:
- Use ground turkey or ground pork in place of the ground chicken
- Add finely chopped sautéed mushrooms
- Omit the siracha sauce if you prefer a milder sauce
- Chop unsalted cashews and sprinkle on top of wraps
- Sprinkle freshly chopped cilantro on cooked mixture
- Use butter lettuce or ice berg lettuce - anything that has a nice rounded leaf to hold the filling.
- Can be made ahead of time and reheated
- Add filling to lettuce wraps only when ready to eat
- These are fun to serve unassembled and let everyone create their own
- Use one or two leaves to hold the filling. Double up with small leaves or leaves with a small tear.
- Drizzle additional sauce over filled wraps before eating
Serving: 1Wrap | Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 600mg | Potassium: 311mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 530IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg