Creamy Potato Soup
Delicious potato soup with chunks of potatoes and topped with bacon bits.
Servings: 6 people
- 5 slices bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
Begin by cooking up chopped bacon in a soup pot. Remove cooked bacon and leave the bacon grease in pan.
Add chopped onions, celery and carrot and saute until soft.
Add garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes.
Add flour to mixture and saute an additional 3-5 minutes.
Add chicken broth and cut potatoes. Simmer on medium low heat until potatoes are cooked through.
Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in milk and halt and half. Stir until heated through.
Serve with reserved bacon bits, chopped chives and fresh parsley.
Tips for making potato soup
- Use a full sized carrot, not the pre-cut baby carrots. A full sized carrot has much more flavor than the baby carrots.
- Cut potatoes in uniform size.
- Make certain potatoes are fully cooked before adding milk.
- Use the best chicken broth available. It is the base for your soup and you want a good quality broth.
- When adding salt start with a small amount and add more as needed. I use my homemade chicken broth that is unsalted and may need to add more salt than a store bought broth. Always taste and add more as needed.
- Add additional milk if soup is too thick.
- Soup can be made with just milk and no half and half cream if desired.
Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 1149mg | Potassium: 951mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1967IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 154mg | Iron: 5mg