Apple Pull Apart Bread
Layers of bread with chunks of apples and a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar between each layer.
Servings: 2 loaves
- 1 ½ cups whole milk warmed
- 1 package yeast 2 ¼ teaspoons
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 5 ½ - 6 cups flour
- 1 large apple about 1 cup chopped
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
Use a stand mixer with a dough attachment.
Add milk to bowl. Sprinkle on yeast and sugar and stir lightly. Let sit for 5 minutes until mixture is bubbly.
Stir in melted butter, salt, eggs and 2 cups of flour.
Continue adding flour with the mixer running on low speed until dough begins to come together and forms a ball. You might not need to add the last ½ cups of flour.
Knead dough in stand mixer at low speed for 10 minutes.
Place dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit until dough has doubled in size, approximately 60 minutes.
When dough has doubled, punch down dough lightly to deflate dough.
Place dough on counter and roll out into a rectangle - approximately 18" x 12" You can make larger if desired. The larger the rectangle, the thinner the layers.
Brush dough with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and ground cinnamon. Sprinkling apples evenly over dough.
Use a pizza cutter or a knife to cut dough into smaller 3" x 4" pieces.
Gently pick up squares and place in stacks of four. Place each stack with the end sides up in a greased bread pan. Stacks can be placed in a straight line or each stack of four can be place in a random order.
Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes.
Allow bread to cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan.
Continue cooling on a baking rack.
Cover with glaze if desired.
- You want to use a firm apple that won't fall apart when baking. I've used Fuji and Braeburn. Other good apples to use include Granny Smith and Gala. Usually if it's a crisp apple, it's great for baking.
- The glaze gives it a nice finished look and adds a bit of extra sweetness, but this bread is just as delicious without a glaze.
Serving: 2slices | Calories: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 243mg | Potassium: 60mg | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 355IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 0.2mg