Fresh strawberries and chunks of chocolate make this Strawberry Chocolate Shortcake irresistible!
Make a quick homemade biscuit with chocolate and then assemble with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. This dessert is elegant and delicious.
I know it is almost spring! Never mind waking up everyday this week to find another two inches of newly fallen snow or the two feet of snow that still covers the ground. Nope, I can tell spring is almost here by all the fresh strawberries in the grocery store!
They are a sure sign that there is warmer weather somewhere! We have been buying these strawberries in droves. I just can't resist them every time I walk through the produce section. And the kids are eating them up faster than I can buy them.
I decided it was time to make strawberry shortcake, but I decided it was time to mix up the good ol' classic strawberry shortcake and made strawberry chocolate shortcake!
I think anytime you take something good and want to make it great you just add chocolate!
When making shortcake you want to handle the dough as little as possible. I mixed the dough in a bowl with a spoon, kneaded once or twice by hand to incorporate all the flour and then pressed it out into a thick circle.
Having a perfect biscuit cutter makes everything easier. I baked the biscuits on a silicone baking sheet. There was no stick and no mess!
These strawberry shortcakes were a hit and made springtime seem a little closer! These blueberry shortcakes would also be a delicious treat anytime of the year!
If you are looking for other delicious recipes, check these out:
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Looking for more desserts? Check out all my dessert recipes.
Strawberry Chocolate Shortcake
- 2 pints strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup chopped milk chocolate
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whipped cream (lightly sweetened)
- 1 Tablespoon shaved milk chocolate
- Wash, hull and slice strawberries. Add sugar and lightly mix. Set aside for at least 20 minutes until the juice begins to flow.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.
- Stir in the chocolate
- Mix in the heavy cream, stirring just until the dough begins to come together.
- Use your hands to form dough into a ball. Press dough against the sides to incorporate any remaining flour.
- Lightly knead the dough two to three times, just to further mix the ingredients together.
- Place on a very lightly floured surface and pat out into a circle. Keep dough approximately one inch high.
- Use a three inch biscuit cutter and cut out biscuits. Place on a baking tray covered with a silicone baking liner or on a lightly greased baking tray.
- Rework any scraps together to make additional shortcakes.
- Brush the surfaces of shortcakes lightly with additional heavy cream.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Cool on a baking rack.
Assembling the Shortcakes
- Use a fork to split the shortcakes.
- Place the bottom half of a shortcake on a plate. Place a dollop of whipped cream, a spoonful of strawberries and then the top of the shortcake. Add another dollop of whipped cream on top and garnish with a sliced strawberry and chocolate shavings.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and should only be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary says
Oh my goodness, this looks absolutely delicious, Kathy! I LOVE strawberry shortcake, because YUMMM, but chocolate strawberry shortcake?! GENIUS! This looks fabulous, my friend! Cheers!
Thanks, Cheyanne! Strawberries are so yummy right now and I am using them in just about everything!
Beautiful! And way more fun than plain old shortcake!
David @ Spiced says
Yes! I have totally noticed the influx of fresh strawberries in the store...and I love it. Like you, we are still bitterly cold here, but we've started getting some warmer days sneaking in now and then. I love this idea of chocolate shortcakes! I haven't make a good shortcake in quite a while now, and I'm thinking this needs to happen on a Saturday morning in the near future. 🙂
Warmer days are coming!
Nicoletta @sugarlovespices says
I agree, adding chocolate takes everything to the next level! I love these strawberry chocolate shortcakes! They look incredibly good and I'd really want one! Hurray for soon to come spring!
I love strawberry shortcake and the chocolate really does add a lot!
London || Gluten Free with L.B. says
These look so yummy and perfect for Spring!! Lovely pictures, too 🙂
Thanks! I keep waiting for the weather to become more spring-like!
These. Look. Amazing. Chocolate has obviously been the missing ingredient!
Just wait till you give them a try! Delicious!
That looks great. 2 of my favorite flavors - chocolate and strawberries. I bought my first fresh strawberries of the year about 3 weeks ago and they were nice and juicy. And on sale! I guess I'll have to buy some more to make this recipe. Yum!
You just can't go wrong with chocolate and strawberries!
Rachelle @ Beer Girl Cooks says
Bring on the spring and warm weather! I cannot imagine two inches of snow on top of two feet of snow. Yikes! Thank goodness for strawberry shortcake and chocolate!
And the snow still continues! This week it is forecasted everyday! I'm going to need more strawberry shortcake to make it through this winter!
Geraldine | Green Valley Kitchen says
Spring is definitely here - glad to see you are getting a taste of it so early, Kathy. What is it about strawberry shortcakes that makes them so appealing- the name is so cute and they are so yummy! Your photos look great!
I know I can't resist them! 🙂
Fran @ G'day Souffle' says
Very rustic looking shortcake, Kathy! I'm used to seeing the store-bought 'yellow-cake' variety. Yours certainly looks like it has more flavor. Yippee- it's almost Spring time!
These are rustic looking and nothing at all like what you buy in the store. These shortcakes are more biscuit like than cake like.