Refreshing Moscow Mule made with fresh squeezed lime juice, fresh mint, vodka and ginger ale! This delicious Moscow Mule is perfect for anytime of the year.
Have you ever had a Moscow Mule? I received a nifty set of copper mugs for Christmas and they are perfect for a Moscow Mule.
Ginger Ale or Ginger Beer?
To be totally honest with you, I had never had this drink before, but now I’m totally hooked! We had a bit of discussion around using ginger ale or ginger beer. Traditionally Moscow Mules are made with ginger beer, but it can also be made with ginger ale.
We only had ginger ale on hand, so guess what we ended up using? Yep, ginger ale!
Most people are familiar with ginger ale, but what is ginger beer? Ginger ale and beer are similar, although ginger beer has a stronger ginger taste. Don’t let the name beer through you off. Ginger beer is a non-alcoholic beverage.
I find ginger ale easier to locate. Not all stores carry ginger beer.
This drink is made with fresh squeezed lime juice, mint, vodka and ginger ale. Typically the mint is just served as a garnish, but I really like the added taste of the mint so I added few torn leaves to my beverage.
Tips for making a Moscow Mule:
- Use fresh squeezed lime juice
- Use fresh mint
- Use ginger ale or ginger beer
- Use a shot glass to measure all ingredients – be careful though, not all shot glasses are the same size
- Mix your beverage in a mixing glass first
- Fill your copper mug or glass with ice and pour mixed beverage over top
- Garnish with additional mint and a lime wedge
Why a Copper Mug?
- The copper mug is reported to make the beverage colder
- When you spot a beverage in a copper mug, it is most often a Moscow Mule, although the mugs can certainly be used for just about any beverage
- You don’t need to use a copper mug – any type of glass works
I haven’t put a lot of drink recipes on my blog. I have Elderberry Vodka which is vodka infused with fresh elderberries. I also have a few non-alcoholic beverages including fresh squeezed lemonade, raspberry lemonade, limeade and hot chocolate!
You can find these nifty copper mugs here.
Don’t forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
If you loved this recipe you’ll LOVE all the others in this category. Check out all my beverages here!
- 2 oz lime juice (fresh squeezed)
- 2 oz vodka
- 6 oz ginger ale
- 12 mint leaves
- In a large mixing glass add lime juice, vodka and ginger ale. Tear mint leaves into small pieces and add to glass. Stir well,
- Fill copper mugs or glasses with ice.
- Pour mixed beverage over ice.
- Garnish with a fresh lime wedge and a sprig of fresh mint.