Asian cucumber salad is a quick, easy and delicious spicy cucumber salad that can be pulled together in less than 10 minutes. Eat right away or let marinate and eat later.
Cucumber and onions salad is a classic that appears regularly on our table during the summertime. This version is made with sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce and topped with sesame seeds. There’s also crushed red pepper flakes to give it a little kick.
It’s not really spicy, but you can taste the heat. If your family is not a fan of spice, just cut back the amount to your liking.
What type of cucumber?
I used English cucumbers in this salad. I like the thin skin and the small seeds in the English cucumber. You could also use your standard grocery store cucumber. Just peel the cuke and cut in half and scoop out the seeds. You can leave the seeds if using a standard cuke, but they can sometimes be on the large size and I like to remove them when using in this salad.
Toasted sesame seeds
Toasted sesame seeds are added to the salad just before serving. You can buy seeds already toasted, or save some money and toast your own. The toasted seeds add a lot of flavor to this salad.
Just place the seeds in a small non-stick pan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Make certain you stir often and don’t leave the pan! These go from done to burnt in almost no time at all! As soon as they start to brown a little, remove the heat and from the pan.
To make cucumber salad
- Slice the cucumbers
- Slice the onions
- In a small container combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine
- Pour dressing over cucumbers and gently stir to coat the cucumbers
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve or cover and refrigerate to let the cucumbers marinate
If you refrigerate before eating, the cucumbers will release some of their liquids and you will end up with more sauce. This does not affect the quality of the salad. You can drain before serving or just leave it at the bottom of the bowl.
How long will this salad last?
Asian cucumber salad is best eaten the same day it’s made. I have eaten it the day after and it’s still good. It’s just best the same day it is made.
What to serve with this salad?
Other great salads
Don’t Forget to PIN for later!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @beyondthechickencoop
Check out all my delicious salad recipes!
Asian Cucumber Salad
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups English cucumbers (sliced)
- 1 cup red onion (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (toasted)
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, honey and red pepper
- Shake or stir to combine
- Add cucumber and onions to a large bowl
- Pour dressing over cucumbers and onions
- Toss lightly
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Toss lightly and serve or cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Can substitute regular cucumbers for the English cucumbers. Peel and seed regular cucumbers if using.
- Reduce red pepper flakes if you prefer a milder taste.